Resist ONE sin


I have been reading the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A. Kempis slowly over the past few months. There is so much rich material in there that I can't possibly take it all in by reading it through in a few days like I would like to. So, periodically I have been sharing a few thoughts from the book here.

On how to aquire peace and on the desire to improve: "Resist one sin for a year!"

Simple. We tend to look at all the things we need to do better in and then end up not doing well in any of the areas. If we became truely disciplined in ONE area of our life that needs attention, in a few years, we would cover some of the hardest things we deal with and be victorious.

This idea reminds me of dieting. When I go on a diet, I tend to say "Ok, I am going to eat right, drink my water, exercise every day, and get good sleep" Yeah right! And day two of the diet, I am overwhelmed and discouraged because I can't change all those habits overnight. But....what if I were to simplify it and work on one thing at at time. Maybe just start by exercising three times a week and forget what I eat and drink. And get that down and then think about the food end.

Discipline takes hard work and I think we are not successful in our attempts, because we take on too much. Evaluation time. What is the one thing that you really would like victory in the most? Make that your ONE THING today and work diligently on it. The other things will come in time. We don't grow up physically overnight and we don't spiritually either. It takes time.

"Do not be CONFORMED to this world, but be TRANSFORMED by the renewing of your minds."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected!!!

TODAY WE TALKED