Smoothies

My daughter and I love smoothies for breakfast and this morning was no exception. Olivia and I put the strawberries, pineapple, banana, yogurt and cranberry juice in and the big moment came (for a 7 year old that is).....the time to push the button and blend it up. She pushed the button and we were saying "woohoo it's almost smoothie time!" when out from the bottom of the carafe started oozing out smoothie. I turned the machine off and lifted up the carafe (dumb, dumb, dumb) and the whole bottom came off the carafe and smoothie ran like a waterfall all over the countertop, down the front of the cupboards and onto the floor. Olivia said, "MOM, QUICK, 10 SECOND RULE!!!" (for those of you who don't know what that means.....it means....quick pick it up within 10 seconds and the dirt won't stick to it and we can still eat it!) I wanted to be mad. I was disgusted and frustrated and immediately remembered my devotional from the previous day.

I am reading Joyce Meyer's book Battlefield of the Mind and yesterday's devotional was about being positive. "Practice being positive in each situation that arises, even if whatever is taking place in your life at the moment is not so good." I realized in that moment, that I had a choice of how I was going to react to this situation. So, I took a deep breath and said, "Olivia, you're right, let's hurry and get this into the cups." And, that's what we did. She helped get it all cleaned up and we sat down together with the best tasting smoothies and a really good laugh.

Life doesn't always go the way we planned or desire and we can choose to be sour or sweet about it. What good does it do to be angry about those things? Spilled milk (or in this case spilled smoothie) is still spilled milk whether we are mad about it or whether we're not. I know that my daughter was watching me and I want her to be able to laugh at those things that don't go her way.

Next time we check the bottom to make sure it is securely fastened! Take some time to laugh a little today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected!!!

FLAME