My Resolution!


It's 2007 and time for New Year's resolutions. But what is a resolution anyhow? I looked it up in the dictionary and there are many definitions, depending on what you are talking about: a computer screen, the law, music, optics, or a solution. The definition I liked for the occasion is "firmness of purpose". When I look ahead at the goal, my purpose is defined and I can press on toward the goal.


So, as I look at this year, I have a few goals. The normal things like, more exercise, eating less and healthier, reading my Bible, yada yada yada....good things, yes....but the goal is "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. (Phil. 3:14) Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us RUN with perseverence the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such oppoosition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1b-3) When it comes to sin, my dear friend reminds me that we must RUN. We can not do as our Old Testament friends and tear down the idols, but not destroy completely. We must tear completely down the idols so as to not let the devil have a foot in the door. When we fail to completely destroy the things that entangle us, it is so easy to let those things creep back into our lives. I want to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus......the goal. I want to RUN to Him.


The verse above says "who for the joy set before him endured the cross". What was that joy? How could he find joy in such suffering? His heart was filled with joy knowing that his actions would give hope to those who had no hope. His actions would give us salvation and eternity in fellowship with Him! When I consider his actions, I need not grow wearing and lose heart in this race. Hebrews 12:4 goes on to say "In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood." So I run. Run with perseverence to the goal. Not looking back. My eyes fixed on the Savior.....the one who did shed His precious blood for me.


Is your resolution or purpose firm? Are you running toward the goal and away from sin? Have you completely torn down "the idols" in your life (those things that take the place of Jesus having completely control of your heart)? Are your eyes fixed on the Savior? Make this your resolution this year!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hence the reason for disallowing His people to intermarry. He wanted His people to remain pure. So it is with us; we need to be seperated from all that is not God, so that we may remain unsoiled by the filth of the earth.

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected!!!

FLAME